Buttermilk Chameleon Cake with Buttercream Frosting
- see below
2) In a medium bowl, mix together cake flour, sugar, baking powder, & baking soda. Set aside.
3) In bowl of electric stand mixer, mix together butter & sugar until fluffy.
4) Add vanilla, egg whites, buttermilk, applesauce, & oil and mix until creamed.
5) Gradually mix in flour until all is combined. Continue to beat, incorporating air, for an additional 1-1/2 minutes.
6) Pour into prepared cake pans.
7) Bake 20-25 minutes for the 8” rounds; 25-30 minutes for the 9” rounds; 30-35 minutes for the 9”x13” pan.
Allow cakes to completely cool before frosting.
I always freeze mine for at least 1 hour for easier frosting.
2) Add vanilla or favorite extract
3) Incorporate 1 Cup powdered sugar & 1 Tbs. milk at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition until all is combined.
4) Beat for an additional 3-5 minutes. The longer the frosting is beaten, the creamier it will be !
Set aside in a cool place, do not refrigerate or it will be to hard to spread.
Take cakes from freezer and place first layer on cake pedastal or plate. Frost and stack layers then start on the sides. If the cake becomes difficult to work with put back in freezer for 30 min. then continue to frost.
After sides and top are frosted you may garnish any way you like.
This is a totally optional step but is a great option when you want a different cake flavor.
You can spread lemon curd between the layers and add lemon extract to the frosting. Garnish with lemon drops on top.
Spread strawberry jam between the layers and then slice fresh berries and add on top of the jam. Frost with the buttercream with a little red dye mixed in and whole strawberries as a garnish on top.
The possibilities are endless...use your imagination .