Beignet Recipe from Café du Monde
* These are very good, and worth the time spent working with the yeast. Some restaurants just use a sweetened biscuit dough with baking powder for the leavening, but traditional Beignets were made up with yeast the night before and cooked fresh in the morning.
* These are normally served with powdered sugar and coffee. But another way we like them is for dessert, with sweetened berries on top, and a big dollop of whipped cream.
- 1 c
- lukewarm water
- 1/4 c
- granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 large
- egg, room temperature and beaten
- 2 Tbsp
- butter, softened
- 1/2 c
- evaporated milk
- 4 c
- bread flour or all purpose flour
- 3 tsp
- instant active dry yeast
- vegetable oil for cooking: use enough oil to completely cover beignets when frying
- powdered sugar for dusting
If using a mixer with a dough hook, place water, sugar, salt, egg, butter, evaporated milk, flour, and yeast in the bowl. Beat until smooth.
If using a bread machine, add liquid ingredients, then dry ingredients with yeast last (on top of everything else). Select dough setting and press Start, allow to run only until dough cycle has finished (do not bake).