GFCF Southern Style Cornbread
Everyone I have served this too has told me it's better than traditional cornbread with gluten!
**I use a flour mix from FrugalAbundance.com in my recipe."
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 c
- **glad flour or other gluten free flour mix
- 1 c
- organic corn meal
- 2 tsp
- xanthan gum
- 4 tsp
- aluminum free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp
- pink himalayan sea salt
- 2 Tbsp
- dried italion seasoning, parsley, rosemary or dill *optional
- 1/3 c
- raw granulated sugar, raw honey, agave nectar or molasses *optional
- beaten eggs
- 1 c
- casien free milk ( i use coconut or almond- soy works too) or water
- 1 Tbsp
- apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 c
- melted coconut oil
- for best results use a 10 inch well seasoned cast iron skillet
- if you don't have cast iron you can use a 9 inch round or square cake pan, or even a glass pan but it won't taste quite as good :)
MIX TOGETHER DRY INGREDIENTS
1Preheat oven to 450 F. Heat coconut oil in a cast iron skillet if using, or just melt it in your baking pan while the oven preheats.
2Add 1 tbsp vinegar to 1 cup casein free milk or water and set aside
3Mix together dry ingredients with a whisk.
4Make a well in your dry mixture and add remaining ingredients. Mix well.
5Pour batter into hot greased skillet, or baking pan. Bake until the sides pull away from the pan a bit and the top will usually crack a bit.
6A Note about Gluten and Casein Free Ingredients: Since my family began this diet, we have discovered that you always have to read the labels on the foods you buy. This week when shopping I may buy something that is clearly gfcf and next week when I look for the same item I will notice they have changed the ingredient list adding dry milk, or maltodextrin, or some other questionable ingredient. I find that it's best to stick to unprocessed foods whenever possible- make it from scratch. My son is on the autism spectrum, its not the end of the world if he gets a little gluten or casein, while it may ruin his day, it isn't life threatening. I always watch him for symptoms and note the offending food. Please keep this in mind while selecting your ingredients for my GFCF recipes. Happy Careful Shopping! :)