Neufchatel Cheese, Millie's
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- cheese vat or stainless steel pot (6qt.)
- spoon, (no aluminum)
- cheesemakers cloth (this is a finer weave than what you see at the grocery store)
- big bowl or pot
- large ss colander
- 1 gal
- whole milk
- 1 pt
- cream (do not use low fat)
- 1/2 c
- cultured buttermilk (do not use low fat)
- 2 Tbsp
- diluted rennet (3 drops liquid rennet in 1/3cup cool water)
- 3/4 tsp
- cheese salt or kosher salt ground fine (do not use table salt w/iodine)
~~~~~~ SUPPLIES ~~~~~~
~~~~~ INGREDIENTS ~~~~~~
2When it reaches 80 degress, turn off heat and add buttermilk and 2 tablespoons of the diluted rennet. Stir, cover, then let set for 12 hours. DO NOT STIR DURING THIS TIME !
(I like to do this before going to bed.)
6Take it down when it reaches the thickness of softened cream cheese (8 to 12 hours). Mix in the salt or leave plain if using in a dessert. Transfer to covered container and refrigerate. Use any way you would use cream cheese.
*Use within 2 weeks.(This cheese freezes very well.)
WARNING: The whey from this cheese cannot be used to make ricotta !