Valley Green's Broccoli & Cheese Soup
Tip: I use gourmet salts which add a nice flavor to cooking. For this one, I like to use pink Himalayan salt. Also, this is a thick soup. After adding the cheese, if you need to thin it, just add a little chicken broth.
- 1 stick
- butter, organic
- yellow onion, diced
- 1/3 c
- 2 c
- half and half, organic
- 4 c
- whole milk, organic
- 12 oz
- frozen or fresh broccoli florets (steamed if using frozen)
- 4-5 pinch
- salt (to taste)
- 1-2 pinch
- ground black pepper
- 3 c
- cheddar cheese, grated (or mix in other cheese of your choice)
How to Make Valley Green's Broccoli & Cheese Soup
- 1In a dutch oven or large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 3 minutes.
- 2Reduce heat to medium-low. Slowly sprinkle in flour, stirring continuously. Slowly stir in half and half, then milk.
- 3Increase heat to medium again, and add broccoli, salt and pepper. When mixture begins to simmer, cover and reduce heat to very low. If using steamed florets, cook on low for 20 minutes, stirring often. If using fresh florets, cook on low 25 to 30 minutes, stirring often, until broccoli is very tender. Taste to add salt and pepper if needed.
- 4Remove pot from heat and use an immersion blender or masher to break up large pieces of broccoli. (Do not puree - you still want some bite-size pieces of broccoli in your soup!)
- 5Return pot to medium-low heat and add cheese. Stir continuously until cheese is completely melted. If soup is too thick for your taste, add some chicken broth to thin to desired consistency. Serve in bread bowls or with hearty slices of crusty bread.