★★★★★ 1 vote5
2 28 oz can(s)whole tomatoes, drained, with 3 cups of the juice reserved
1 1/2 Tbspbrown sugar
4large shallots, minced
1 3/4 cchicken stock
2 Tbspbrandy or dry sherry or rice wine
to tastecayenne pepper
How to Make Tomato Soup
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Using your fingers, squeeze the seeds from the tomatoes over a strainer, allowing the juices to fall through the strainer into a bowl.
- Spread the seeded tomatoes in a single layer on the foil. Sprinkle evenly with brown sugar. Bake until all liquid has evaporated and the tomatoes begin to color, about 20 to 30 minutes. When done, remove to bowl and set aside for later.
- Heat the butter over medium heat in a large saucepan until foaming. Add shallots and allspice. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until shallots have softened, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add flour and stir until thoroughly combined. Add chicken stock, whisking to combine; stir in reserved tomato juice and roasted tomatoes. Cover, increase heat to medium, and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Pour the mixture through a strainer and into a medium bowl. Transfer the solids and 1 cup of the strained liquid into a blender and blend until smooth. Combine pureed mixture and liquid; reheat if needed and serve!