Split Pea Soup with Chunky Vegetables1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
- 1.5 c
- split peas, yellow, dry
- 6 c
- plum tomatoes, chopped
- medium onion, chopped
- garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 c
- chopped parsley
- 1 tsp
- dried dill weed
- 2 c
- sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed
- 2 c
- broccoli florets
- chopped parsley, garnish
How to Make Split Pea Soup with Chunky Vegetables
- 1Soak peas in 4 cups of water for 4 hours or longer.
- 2In a medium saucepan, bring peas and soaking water to a boil.
- 3Add tomatoes.
- 4Simmer, covered, until peas are very soft, 20 to 25 minutes.
- 5In a blender or food processor, puree 2 cups of pea mixture until smooth, adding a little extra water if necessary.
- 6Return pureed peas to the saucepan.
- 7Cover and keep warm.
- 8In a large deep pot, combine onion, garlic, parsley, dill, sweet potatoes and remaining 2 cups water.
- 9Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 6 to 7 minutes.
- 10Add broccoli and simmer another 6 to 8 minutes, or until broccoli is tender but still crunchy.
- 11Add pea mixture reduce heat to low, cover and cook gently until just heated through.
- 12Serve garnished with parsley.