Smoked Gouda and Shiitake Mushroom Soup
- 8 ounces butter
- 8 ounces yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 gallon water
- 3 ounces paste chicken base
- 12 ounces smoked gouda, finely shredded
- 8 ounces celery, diced small
- 8 ounces flour
- 1 quart (40%) cream (heavy cream)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 ounce fresh thyme (just the leaves, no stems)
- 12 ounces shiitake mushrooms, julienned
- 1 cup madeira ( i dont use it but recipe calls for it )
How to Make Smoked Gouda and Shiitake Mushroom Soup
- 1Melt Butter in a large pot. Add celery, onion, and mushrooms, sauté until cooked, but still firm. Add flour to make a roux, cook for five minutes more while stirring to coat all of the ingredients. Stir in the remaining ingredients and blend well.
Be careful not to scorch the soup. Cook until the cheese melts and the consistency is thick and smooth.