Rustic Potato Leek Soup
- 5 c
- low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 lb
- red potaotes (4-5 medium), cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 tsp
- fresh thyme, or 1/4 t. dried
- bay leaves
- salt and ground black pepper
- 4 Tbsp
- unsalted butter
- 3 lb
- leeks (8 medium), white and light green parts, halved and sliced thin
- 2 clove
- garlic, minced
How to Make Rustic Potato Leek Soup
- 1Bring the broth, potatoes, thyme, bay leaves and 1/2 teaspoon salt to boil, covered, in a large saucepan. Reduce to simmer and continue to cook, covered, until needed in step 3.
- 2Meanwhile, melt butter in a large Dutch oven over med-high heat. Stir in leeks, garlic and 1/4 teaspoon salt, cover and cook until leeks are wilted and softened, about 10 minutes.
- 3Stir in broth mixture. Bring to simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 4 to 7 minutes.
- 4Off heat, remove bay leaves and mash some of the potatoes against the side of the pot to thicken soup to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.