Roasted Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese Sandwich
For the grilled cheese, I offer variations for fillings so you can mix it up a little bit.
- 10 large
- tomatoes, seeded and quartered
- 4 clove
- garlic, skinned
- 1 medium
- onion, sliced
- celery stalks
- 4 c
- vegetable broth
- 1 tsp
- thyme, dried
- 1 c
- basil, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 3 c
- cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 c
- monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 12 slice
- white sandwich bread
- 3 Tbsp
- butter, unsalted
ROASTED TOMATO SOUP
GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH
How to Make Roasted Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 1Heat oven to 425 degrees.
Rub tomatoes and garlic with olive oil. Place tomatoes, skin side down, and garlic on a cookie sheet. Bake for approximately 45 minutes until tomatoes begin to fall. Remove and set aside.
- 2Just before the tomatoes are done, heat a large pot over medium heat, add 1 tbsp olive oil, then add the onions and celery - sauté for about 5 minutes.
- 3Add the broth and seasonings, reduce heat to simmer, add the roasted tomatoes and garlic, simmer for 10 minutes, then turn off heat. Let cool slightly.
- 4Carefully transfer to a food processor (or blender) and blend until smooth (will be slightly chunky). Don't transfer all the liquid right away...you can always add more liquid if needed at the end.
Note: For last minute changes or additions - If you want to add more tomato, you can add a can of stewed tomatoes before or after you blend. You can also add 1/4 cup of heavy cream for a creamier soup. And, to sweeten it up slightly, add about 2 tablespoons of honey.
- 5Transfer back to pot and heat over low to keep soup warm before serving.
- 6Meanwhile, assemble sandwiches. Combine the cheeses in a bowl. Brush one side of each slice of bread with butter. Flip slice over and top with good amount of cheese (about ½ a cup), pressing lightly to compact cheese. Add other varying ingredients as chosen (see below). Top with remaining bread slices, brush butter on the outside of top slice.
- 7Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add sandwich to pan and cook until golden brown. Flip and cook other side until golden brown. Remove from pan, let cool slightly, cut and serve with tomato soup.
- 8Grilled cheese filling variations:
1. add cooked bacon, chopped tomatoes and avocado
2. add turkey slices and pesto sauce (my personal favorite)