- 1/4 cup butter, 1/2 stick
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 t. curry powder
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/4 t. ground coriander
- 1/8 t. crushed red pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 can pumpkin (29 oz) or 3 1/2 cups mashed cooked fresh pumpkin
- 1 can evaporated milk, 12 oz
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar, optional
- sour cream for garnish
- chopped fresh chives, for garnish
until onion is tender. Stir in curry powder, salt, coriander, and red pepper.
Cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add broth and bring to a gentle boil.
Boil gently for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in pumpkin and
evaporated milk. Mix in brown sugar for a sweeter flavor and cook for 5 minutes.
Cool slightly; pour into a blender and process until creamy. Ladle warm soup
into soup bowls and garnish with sour cream and chives. Makes 8 cups.
Source: Tables of Content: Junior League of Birmingham, Alabama, and Recipes