Polish Kielbasa Sauerkraut Soup
Instead of the kielbasa, you can also use beans to make this a vegetarian dish.
15 ozsauerkraut (1 can)
1polish kielbasa (fully cooked), diced
6potatoes, peeled and diced into small pieces
1medium yellow onion, finely diced
1small carrot, grated
1 tspcaraway seeds
1/2 Tbspvegeta (all - purpose seasoning)
1 Tbsphungarian paprika
·salt to taste
·sour cream dollops (garnish on top)
·freshly chopped dill, chives and parsley for garnish)
How to Make Polish Kielbasa Sauerkraut Soup
- Sautee onions in pan with the butter until onions are tender (don't completely brown / carmelize them).
- At the same time, in a pot, add potatoes and enough water to cover them about an inch over the tops of the potatoes.
- Add onions to potatoes. Cover and let cook for 5 minutes. In the meantime, rinse and drain your sauerkraut.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot except for the optional ones and the salt-to-taste.
- Add more water to just cover all the ingredients. Cover and let cook until potatoes are tender (about 20-25 minutes).
- After potatoes are tender, turn off heat. Stir in salt-to-taste. Add extra pepper if you'd like.
- When serving, garnish top with dollop of sour cream, freshly chopped dill and/or chives, and/or parsley. Eat this soup with some good buttered polish rye bread on the side!