Pepper & Tomato Soup1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
3 Tbspolive oil
2medium red onions, thinly sliced
5/8 tspcloves, ground
1/4 tspcoriander, ground
5parsley sprigs, chopped
4garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
·salt to taste
1 lbred peppers or pimientos, thinly sliced
1/2 lbchopped savoy or smooth-skinned cabbage
1 lbvery ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, chopped, juice reserved
How to Make Pepper & Tomato Soup
- Remove stems, seeds and veins from chiles.
- Tear flesh into a few large pieces, cover with 1 cup water in small saucepan and bring to boil.
- Simmer 20 minutes, then puree in blender.
- Heat oil in pan and add onions, bay leaves, cloves, coriander, parsley and garlic.
- Cook over medium heat several minutes until onions have begun to soften, then add salt, peppers and cabbage.
- Stir to combine and coat vegetables with oil.
- Add 1/2 cup water or stock, cover pan and cook over low heat 10 minutes.
- When vegetables have wilted, stir in 1/4 cup pureed chiles or 1 to 2 teaspoons chile powder.
- Add tomatoes, their juice and remaining water or stock.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer very slowly 30 minutes.
- When finished cooking, remove bay leaves and puree soup until completely blended.
- Return it to pan and season with salt, if needed. Add more chile if desired.
- Serve soup with a sprinkling of chopped cilantro.