Pepper & Tomato Soup1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- red chiles
- 3 Tbsp
- olive oil
- medium red onions, thinly sliced
- bay leaves
- 5/8 tsp
- cloves, ground
- 1/4 tsp
- coriander, ground
- parsley sprigs, chopped
- garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- salt to taste
- 1 lb
- red peppers or pimientos, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb
- chopped savoy or smooth-skinned cabbage
- 6 c
- 1 lb
- very ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, chopped, juice reserved
- chopped cilantro
How to Make Pepper & Tomato Soup
- 1Remove stems, seeds and veins from chiles.
- 2Tear flesh into a few large pieces, cover with 1 cup water in small saucepan and bring to boil.
- 3Simmer 20 minutes, then puree in blender.
- 4Heat oil in pan and add onions, bay leaves, cloves, coriander, parsley and garlic.
- 5Cook over medium heat several minutes until onions have begun to soften, then add salt, peppers and cabbage.
- 6Stir to combine and coat vegetables with oil.
- 7Add 1/2 cup water or stock, cover pan and cook over low heat 10 minutes.
- 8When vegetables have wilted, stir in 1/4 cup pureed chiles or 1 to 2 teaspoons chile powder.
- 9Add tomatoes, their juice and remaining water or stock.
- 10Bring to boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer very slowly 30 minutes.
- 11When finished cooking, remove bay leaves and puree soup until completely blended.
- 12Return it to pan and season with salt, if needed. Add more chile if desired.
- 13Serve soup with a sprinkling of chopped cilantro.