Parsnip and Fennel Soup
This elegant soup has a straightforward and simple approach. The end result is...."I really Love this Soup..!!!!".
1 lbparsnips, peeled, cut in 2 inch sections
1 largefennel bulb, no tops, rough chop
2 largecelery ribs, rough chop
2 mediumrusset potatoes, peeled, cut in eighths
4cubes of vegetable bouillon, or the amount to use with 8 cups water, i like rapunzel brand
3 Tbspbutter, unsalted
3 largeshallots, peeled, chopped
1/2 tspwhite pepper
1/2 cwhite wine
·salt, (to taste, optional)
How to Make Parsnip and Fennel Soup
- Place parsnips, fennel, celery, potatoes, bouillon, and water in a large pot and put on burner over medium heat to come to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a small saute pan, heat the butter and saute the shallots until clear. Add the wine and white pepper. Turn heat up and reduce until the liquid is mostly evaporated. Add shallots to the large pot with the other vegetables.
- Once the large pot has come to a full boil, reduce to simmer, covered for 1 hour.
- Remove soup from heat and cool sufficiently before pureeing with an immersion blender (or in batches in a blender).
- Serve hot with some cracked pepper and bread of choice. I like this soup with fresh, hot popovers.
- Optional: you may reheat this soup with some heavy cream and adjust salt and pepper....but it is delicious, in it's lower calorie version, served plain.
- This recipe yields about 12 cups of soup.