Old Fashioned Cream of Tomato Soup
1 can(s)(29 ounce) diced tomatoes (fresh diced tomatoes may also be used)
1 can(s)(10 ounce) chicken broth
2 Tbspfinely minced onion
1/4 tspbaking soda
How to Make Old Fashioned Cream of Tomato Soup
- In a heavy bottomed stock pot over medium heat cook the onions in the butter until onions are translucent.
- Add tomatoes, chicken broth, sugar, and baking soda. Simmer on medium heat, 20 minutes or so, to reduce a little.
- Meanwhile, slowly heat the cream, being careful not to scorch the bottom. Do not boil. (I usually heat it in the microwave)
- When the cream is hot and beginning to steam, add it to the tomato mixture.
- Cook on med-low, stirring often, until heated through (about 20 minutes).