My Vegetable Soup
- 2 lb
- ground beef, more or less
- 56 oz
- can crushed or stewed tomatoes or two (28 oz. cans)
- 15 oz
- can whole tomatoes or diced or stewed) (14.5 to 15 oz. can)
- 3 large
- cartons of beef broth (each 32 oz.)
- 1 can(s)
- condensed tomato soup (10 3/4 oz. can)
- 4 1/2 c
- ( or a 32 oz. package )frozen lima beans (or butter peas) more is okay, just don't overfill the pot
- 3 1/2 c
- frozen green peas (or use 1 (16 oz. package)
- 3 /12 c
- frozen white corn, if yellow that is fine or 1 (16 oz. package)
- 3 /12 c
- canned green beans or use 2 (14.5 oz. to 15 oz cans)
- fresh carrots, peeled and sliced on diagonal or coin like
- 2 pkg
- frozen okra, small packages (16 oz. each) i like to add the 2nd pkg last 30 minutes of cooking
- 1 can(s)
- 15 oz. tomato sauce
THE MEAT, US SOUTHERNS SAY ITS STILL VEGETABLE SOUP
BESIDE THE MEAT, THE NEXT MUST HAVE FOR AWESOME BROTH
SALT & PEPPER TO TASTE
How to Make My Vegetable Soup
- 1Brown the ground beef, drain & rinse under colander, add to a big stock pot. I think mine is 12 quarts. Not promising.
- 2Add the Tomatoes, Beef Broth, & Tomato Soup. If desired add the Tomato Sauce. I liked the addition.
- 3Add the Lima Beans, Peas, Corn, & Green Beans. & Carrots. Add just 1 package of the Okra for now. Salt & Pepper to taste.
- 4You will slowly bring this up to a boil then turn the heat down to low to simmer. I like to use a non-stick pot when making such a big item as if it burns, heaven forbid, you can dump out all that will dump out on its own and clean the pot and won't be left with a burnt taste with the soup. (grits was when I learned about such). Any way, say about 30 minutes before you are ready to dig into the soup, add that second pack of okra. Thinking I like to simmer my soup a good 3 hours. Very good to do on a cold day to help keep the house warm.
- 5If you can find Butter Peas that can substitute for the Lima Beans. I think I use the 8 qt stockpot but next time I am at the store I will check and assure it wasn't the 12 qt size. Then update here with the size stockpot. I like to stir the pot every 15 minutes but that is your call. Oh, after we have eaten on this and depleted some of the liquid, If i think more is needed I prefer to add another 32 oz. carton of beef broth. Beef Stock will work too. In fact if you prefer the Beef Stock to the broth, then that is fine.
- 6NOTE: If you can get the brand from Fresh Frozen Foods for the white corn, then do as I find it taste like fresh off the cob silver queen better than any others I have tried. They have wonderful butter peas too. I thought since I made the soup today that I would use package sizes, canned sizes as much as possible so others could easily figure out what to buy to make it much better. My motto when making it is to get the broth good and then add till you can't add any more. Potatoes and onion can be added though I don't. But if I were to add potatoes, it would be after I pulled some from the freezer and add them fresh. As potatoes frozen isn't recommended.