Mushroom and Barley Soup
- 4 Tbsp
- butter, or more as necessary
- 1 large
- onion, peeled and diced small
- 2 medium
- carrots, peeled and diced small
- 1 medium
- parsnip, peeled and diced small
- 1 1/2 tsp
- kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 lb
- assorted mushrooms ( see note), cleaned, stems trimmed, chopped or sliced
- 2 Tbsp
- finely chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 qt
- chicken stock
- 1/2 c
- pearled or medium barley
- 1/4 c
- dry sherry (optional)
- freshley ground black pepper, to taste
How to Make Mushroom and Barley Soup
- 1In a large heavy pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion, carrots, parsnip and salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is softened, about 10 minutes.
- 2Add the mushrooms and continue to cook, stirring only occasionally, until all the mushrooms are tender, about 15 minutes more, adding more butter if necessary.
- 3Season with pepper and thyme and stir to combine. Add the stock, sherry if desired, and barley, increase the heat to medium-high and bring almost to a boil.
- 4Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover partially and simmer gently until the barley is completely cooked and tender, about 1 hour. Check the liquid level during simmering; if a thinner consistency is desired, add additional stock.
- 5May keep warm over low heat, stirring occasionally, for up to a couple of hours, or you may cover and refrigerate overnight and rewarm over low heat. To serve, garnish with parsley.