Mushroom and Barley Soup
4 Tbspbutter, or more as necessary
1 largeonion, peeled and diced small
2 mediumcarrots, peeled and diced small
1 mediumparsnip, peeled and diced small
1 1/2 tspkosher salt, or to taste
1 lbassorted mushrooms ( see note), cleaned, stems trimmed, chopped or sliced
2 Tbspfinely chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
2 qtchicken stock
1/2 cpearled or medium barley
1/4 cdry sherry (optional)
·freshley ground black pepper, to taste
How to Make Mushroom and Barley Soup
- In a large heavy pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion, carrots, parsnip and salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and continue to cook, stirring only occasionally, until all the mushrooms are tender, about 15 minutes more, adding more butter if necessary.
- Season with pepper and thyme and stir to combine. Add the stock, sherry if desired, and barley, increase the heat to medium-high and bring almost to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover partially and simmer gently until the barley is completely cooked and tender, about 1 hour. Check the liquid level during simmering; if a thinner consistency is desired, add additional stock.
- May keep warm over low heat, stirring occasionally, for up to a couple of hours, or you may cover and refrigerate overnight and rewarm over low heat. To serve, garnish with parsley.