Moroccan-Style Vegetable Soup1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
2 Tbspsafflower oil
2 largeonions, chopped
2 mediumpotatoes, scrubbed and cut in 3/4" chunks
2 cbutternut squash, raw, peeled and cut in 3/4" chunks
2 largecarrots, coarsely chopped
14 ozplum tomatoes, coarsely chopped, with juice
2 tspcumin, ground
3/4 tspturmeric, ground
2 cchick peas, canned or well-cooked
1 ccouscous, whole grain, cooked
How to Make Moroccan-Style Vegetable Soup
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot; add the onions and saute over moderate heat until golden.
- Add the potatoes, pumpkin or squash, carrots, tomatoes, and enough water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, then add the seasonings and simmer over low heat, covered, for approximately 45 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the chick peas and season to taste with salt and pepper; simmer over very low heat for another 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, place the couscous in an oven-proof bowl.
- Cover with two cups of boiling water, then cover the bowl and let stand for 15 minutes; fluff with a fork.
- Place a small amount of the couscous in each soup bowl, then ladle the soup over it.
- Serve at once.