Lentil and Sweet Potato Soup
The first time I only had Italian Seasoned Diced tomatoes, so now I add Italian seasons as well.
The lentils will take just about 30 minutes total so that's the reason for the 10 minute head start before adding the sweet potatoes. You can serve it nice and thick like this or add a little more chicken stock or water to thin it out a bit. Use just water or vegetable stock to make this a vegetarian meal.
- 1 medium
- onion, peeled and diced
- garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- rib celery, diced
- olive oil for sauting veggies
- 1 c
- lentils, dry, picked through for stones and rinsed
- 1 can(s)
- (15 oz) diced tomatoes
- 4 c
- chicken stock (plus more as need or water as needed...see note)
- 1 medium
- sweet potatoe, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 box
- frozen spinach, defrosted
- salt and pepper to taste (see note)
How to Make Lentil and Sweet Potato Soup
- 1Add a good splash of olive oil to a large heavy bottomed pot on medium to medium high heat and add 1 medium, diced onion, 2 minced cloves of garlic and 1 rib of diced celery and cook those until they soften up a bit.
- 2At that point, add 1 cup dried lentils and 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes and 4 cups of chicken stock and bring that up to a simmer.
- 3Let the lentils simmer along for 10 minutes and while that is happening you'll have plenty of time to peel and cut 1 medium sweet potato into half inch cubes. Add cubed sweet potato after the 10 minutes has elapsed.
- 4Keep your eye on that and add a little water if it seems like it is thickening up too much and then after another 15 minutes or so when the lentils feel like they have softened up, add 1 defrosted box of chopped spinach.
- 5Stir and bring it back up to temperature. Season it with salt and pepper to taste and it is good to go.