Lentil and Spinach Soup
- 1 lb
- dried lentils (i used green.)
- 8 c
- beef broth (you may also substitute chicken or vegetable broth.)
- 2 c
- 1 medium
- onion (may use large if desired)
- 4 Tbsp
- extra virgin olive oil
- 4 clove
- garlic - smashed but still whole
- 1 can(s)
- (15 ounces) crushed or diced tomatoes
- bay leaves
- 4 Tbsp
- 1 box
- (10 ounces) frozen spinach
- 1 Tbsp
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 small
- chilis (optional) thinly sliced
- 1 bunch
- cilantro, fresh (for garnish)
- 1 pkg
- frozen, sliced carrots (10 - 13 ounces) (you may certainly use fresh, grated carrots; i just did not have any on hand when i wrote the recipe.)
How to Make Lentil and Spinach Soup
- 1Pick over and wash your lentils.
- 2Place beef broth, water, and lentils in a dutch over over a medium heat. Do not cover yet.
- 3Slice onion very thin. Put half of the raw onion into the pot with the lentils.
- 4Put 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a small skillet and heat. Cook the rest of the onion until crispy and add to the lentils and broth. Use a slotted spoon and do NOT add the olive oil and butter to the soup mixture.
- 5Smash the garlic cloves slightly to remove the skin, cut off the stem end and place in soup pot.
- 6Add a 15 ounce can of crushed or diced tomatoes. Do not drain if using crushed. Drain if using diced.
- 7Add 2 whole bay leaves.
- 8Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter to the pot.
- 9Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 10Add 10 ounces of frozen spinach to the pot.
- 11Cook on low heat, covered, until lentils begin to soften.
- 12Once lentils have begun to soften, add carrots.
- 13Add very thinly sliced chilis if desired.
- 14Serve using the remaining olive oil, the cilantro, and sour cream, if desired, as garnish.
- 15This is great with crisped pita bread as a side dish. I drizzle mine with olive oil and crisp it in the oven. Then, we dip it into the soup as we eat.