Lentil and Spinach Soup
1 lbdried lentils (i used green.)
8 cbeef broth (you may also substitute chicken or vegetable broth.)
1 mediumonion (may use large if desired)
4 Tbspextra virgin olive oil
4 clovegarlic - smashed but still whole
1 can(s)(15 ounces) crushed or diced tomatoes
1 box(10 ounces) frozen spinach
·salt and pepper to taste
1-2 smallchilis (optional) thinly sliced
1 bunchcilantro, fresh (for garnish)
1 pkgfrozen, sliced carrots (10 - 13 ounces) (you may certainly use fresh, grated carrots; i just did not have any on hand when i wrote the recipe.)
How to Make Lentil and Spinach Soup
- Pick over and wash your lentils.
- Place beef broth, water, and lentils in a dutch over over a medium heat. Do not cover yet.
- Slice onion very thin. Put half of the raw onion into the pot with the lentils.
- Put 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a small skillet and heat. Cook the rest of the onion until crispy and add to the lentils and broth. Use a slotted spoon and do NOT add the olive oil and butter to the soup mixture.
- Smash the garlic cloves slightly to remove the skin, cut off the stem end and place in soup pot.
- Add a 15 ounce can of crushed or diced tomatoes. Do not drain if using crushed. Drain if using diced.
- Add 2 whole bay leaves.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter to the pot.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add 10 ounces of frozen spinach to the pot.
- Cook on low heat, covered, until lentils begin to soften.
- Once lentils have begun to soften, add carrots.
- Add very thinly sliced chilis if desired.
- Serve using the remaining olive oil, the cilantro, and sour cream, if desired, as garnish.
- This is great with crisped pita bread as a side dish. I drizzle mine with olive oil and crisp it in the oven. Then, we dip it into the soup as we eat.