Italian Tomato Soup
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil
- onion chopped
- carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1 can(s)
- cannellini beans
- 1 can(s)
- italian crushed tomatoes (i use tutta rosa in the green can)
- 4 c
- low sodium chicken broth
- bag or box of frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1/2 c
- small pasta - i use ditalini
- salt, pepper, parsley flakes and dried basil
- red pepper flakes (optional)
How to Make Italian Tomato Soup
- 1Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven and add the onion and carrots. Saute for approximatly 5 minutes on medium heat.
- 2Add the garlic and saute for another minute or so.
- 3Add the beans and crushed tomatoes. Stir well.
- 4Season with salt, pepper, parsley flakes and a couple of dashes of dried basil to taste. I never measure my seasoning...I always eye ball and add as needed. Stir well.
- 5Add the chicken broth and let cook for about 5 minutes.
- 6Add the mixed vegetables.
- 7Bring the soup up to a boil and add the pasta. Cook for another 10 minutes or until the pasta is cooked. Stir frequently so that the pasta does not stick to the bottom of the pot.
- 8Season to taste with salt and pepper and add red pepper flakes (if desired) for a kick.
- 9Sprinkle grated parmesan or romano cheese on top of each bowl.