Italian Tomato Soup
2 Tbspolive oil
2carrots, peeled and chopped
2 clovegarlic, minced
1 can(s)cannellini beans
1 can(s)italian crushed tomatoes (i use tutta rosa in the green can)
4 clow sodium chicken broth
1bag or box of frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
1/2 csmall pasta - i use ditalini
·salt, pepper, parsley flakes and dried basil
·red pepper flakes (optional)
How to Make Italian Tomato Soup
- Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven and add the onion and carrots. Saute for approximatly 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the garlic and saute for another minute or so.
- Add the beans and crushed tomatoes. Stir well.
- Season with salt, pepper, parsley flakes and a couple of dashes of dried basil to taste. I never measure my seasoning...I always eye ball and add as needed. Stir well.
- Add the chicken broth and let cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the mixed vegetables.
- Bring the soup up to a boil and add the pasta. Cook for another 10 minutes or until the pasta is cooked. Stir frequently so that the pasta does not stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and add red pepper flakes (if desired) for a kick.
- Sprinkle grated parmesan or romano cheese on top of each bowl.