By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1/2 cgarbanzo beans, dry
1/2 ckidney beans, dry
1 largeonion, sliced
2garlic cloves, crushed
2 Tbspsoy sauce, low sodium
2 tspcurry powder
2parsnips, scrubbed and sliced
2carrots, peeled and sliced
1zucchini, trimmed and cut in 1" pieces
1/2 cmacaroni, whole wheat
1/4 cbulgur, uncooked
1 Tbsplemon juice
2 cfresh spinach
How to Make Hearty Stew
- Preparation Time: 4:30 Soak both types of beans overnight in a pan filled with water, just covering the beans.
- Canned beans do not work in this dish.
- The cooking liquid from the dry beans makes a rich, flavorful stock which makes for the base of the stew.
- Place the beans in a large pot with the water.
- Soak overnight, or bring to a boil, cook for 2 minutes, turn off heat, and let rest for 1 hour.
- Then add the onion, garlic, soy sauce, and curry powder.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the vegetables and set aside.
- Place the parsnips in a small amount of water in a small saucepan.
- Cook until soft, about 15 minutes.
- Place in a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- When beans are almost tender, add the pureed parsnips and the carrots and zucchini.
- Cook for 30 minutes, then add the pasta and bulgur.
- Cook an additional 15 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon juice and spinach and cook about 5 minutes.
- Serve at once.