By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 1/2 c
- garbanzo beans, dry
- 1/2 c
- kidney beans, dry
- 2 qt
- 1 large
- onion, sliced
- garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 Tbsp
- soy sauce, low sodium
- 2 tsp
- curry powder
- parsnips, scrubbed and sliced
- carrots, peeled and sliced
- zucchini, trimmed and cut in 1" pieces
- 1/2 c
- macaroni, whole wheat
- 1/4 c
- bulgur, uncooked
- 1 Tbsp
- lemon juice
- 2 c
- fresh spinach
How to Make Hearty Stew
- 1Preparation Time: 4:30 Soak both types of beans overnight in a pan filled with water, just covering the beans.
- 2Canned beans do not work in this dish.
- 3The cooking liquid from the dry beans makes a rich, flavorful stock which makes for the base of the stew.
- 4Place the beans in a large pot with the water.
- 5Soak overnight, or bring to a boil, cook for 2 minutes, turn off heat, and let rest for 1 hour.
- 6Then add the onion, garlic, soy sauce, and curry powder.
- 7Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook for 2 hours.
- 8Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the vegetables and set aside.
- 9Place the parsnips in a small amount of water in a small saucepan.
- 10Cook until soft, about 15 minutes.
- 12Place in a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- 13When beans are almost tender, add the pureed parsnips and the carrots and zucchini.
- 14Cook for 30 minutes, then add the pasta and bulgur.
- 15Cook an additional 15 minutes.
- 16Stir in the lemon juice and spinach and cook about 5 minutes.
- 17Serve at once.