Healthy Butternut Squash Soup
2 mediumbutternut squash
1 mediumonion, chopped
2 clovegarlic, chopped
1 ccarrots, chopped
2stalks celery, chopped
8 cvegetable broth
·salt and pepper
How to Make Healthy Butternut Squash Soup
- Peel the butternut squash. Cut the bulbous part in half, and scoop out the seeds (like you would a pumpkin).
Cut squash in 1 inch cubes, place in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a large soup/pasta pot, over medium heat, melt butter. Add the onions, carrots, celery and garlic. Sauté for approximately 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the broth and the squash. Turn heat up to a medium-high. Bring to a slight boil and cook until squash is tender (similar to a potato) - should take about 20 minutes. Be careful not to let it come to a full boil. You may need to turn heat down slightly, depending on your stove.
- When ready, transfer the squash mixture to a food processor or blender. You will need to do this in portions. During one portion, add the nutmeg, cinnamon and honey. Pour the blended soup to a large bowl.
- NOTE: Do not transfer all of the liquid. Leave about 1/4 of the liquid behind when blending. When finished, feel free to add additional liquid to the blended soup if needed, depending on its consistency. Discard what is not used.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir well, and serve.