Great Northern Minestrone
1 cidaho great northern beans, rinsed
1/2 conion, chopped
1 tspgarlic clove, minced
1 Tbspdried basil
1 tspdried oregano
·pepper to taste
·leftover ham or beef bones
16 oztomatoes, canned with juice
4 cvegetables, thinly sliced (carrots, zucchini, celery, cabbage)
1/2 csmall pasta
1/4 cchopped parsley
·parmesan cheese, grated
1 can(s)whole green beans
How to Make Great Northern Minestrone
- Add beans to 3 cups boiling water; boil for 2 minutes.
- Cover and let stand 1 to 4 hours.
- Drain and rinse well.
- Place beans in kettle.
- Add 6 cups water, onion, garlic, basil, oregano, salt, pepper and ham or beef bones.
- Bring to boil.
- Cover and simmer 1 hour or until beans are almost tender.
- Add tomatoes, vegetables, macaroni and parsley, breaking up tomatoes.
- Cover and simmer 1/2 hour longer or until ingredients are done.
- Add more water if a thinner consistency is desired. Adjust seasonings.
- Serve with grated parmesan cheese. Makes 2 to 2-1/2 quarts.