Fully Loaded Baked Potato Soup
★★★★★ 1 vote5
4 largebaking potatoes (idaho or russet
12 sliceapplewood smoked bacon
1/2 call purpose flour
6 c2 percent milk
16 ozsharp cheddar, grated
1 smallyellow onion
3 Tbspfinely chopped chives
1/2 tspgarlic powder
1/4 tsponion powder
1/2 tspseasoned salt
1 Tbspolive oil
·salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Fully Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the potatoes on a roasting tray and bake for 45 minutes. You may also microwave if that is more comfortable for you. When done, the tip of a paring knife should go through the potatoes easily.
- Slice the bacon into lardons (thin strips) and cook in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat until crisp. Remove the bacon from the pot with a slotted spoon and set aside, leaving all the drippings in pot.
- While the bacon is cooking, finely dice the onion and mince the garlic. Saute in a little olive oil until tender and slight color. Set aside
- Add the flour to the drippings in the pot and stir to combine. Cook, without adding color, until the flour and fat has combined, about 1 minute. Pour in the milk while you whisk to incorporate. Cook over medium heat until bubbly and thickened, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes.
- Scoop out the potato pulp from the skins and add to the milk mixture. Mash with a potato masher until smooth but with some chunks. Add the cooked bacon (leaving a little out for garnishing the soup), 1/2 of the cheese,onion and garlic mixture, garlic and onion powder, seasoned salt, and season well with salt and pepper. Stir until the cheese has melted. Remove from the heat.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, sprinkle with remaining bacon bits, grated cheese and chives.