French Onion Soup
Or just pair it with a salad to make it a meal on its own. It would lovely with this Apple Fennel salad at lunch.
As for wine, we recommend Pinot Noir. But a few other lighter reds might make sense too. See our suggestions below.
Wine Pairing Suggestions
Young Red Burgundy
Oregon Pinot Noir
Santa Barbara County Pinot Noir
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1 Tbspolive oil
4 cbeef broth
1/4 tspblack pepper
4 slicethick cut white bread
1 cmozzarella cheese
How to Make French Onion Soup
- Preheat over to 250 degrees.
- Slice onions into crescents.
- Crush garlic.
- Grate the cheese.
- Saute the onion and garlic in oil until the soften and brown.
- Add flour to the mixture and cook until a firm dark roux is formed. Stir vigorously to ensure no lumps in the roux.
- Dissolve the roux into the beef broth.
- Add spices to taste
- Simmer on low heat for 40 minutes.
- Toast bread in a skillet until browned.
- Add soup to four individual serving bowls.
- Add one piece of bread to each bowl. The bread should cover the entire opening of the bowl.
- Cover bread with cheese in each bowl.
- Put the bowls in the oven until cheese melts and browns slightly.