Elk Vegtable Stew
I don't have a recipe, I just throw things together until they look, smell and taste good. I wrote down amounts as I went, hoping I didn't forget anything :~/
I made a focaccia bread recipe off of here too, I will link to this in the comment section...its smellin so good in here!!! mmmmm
I hope you enjoy it!
- 3 1/2 lb
- approx of elk steak, roast or loin, cut into 1
- you can use beef or venison as well
- 1 1/2 c
- 4 Tbsp
- sesoning salt, i used johnnys season salt
- 1 tsp
- garlic powder
- 1 tsp
- onion powder
- 2-3 Tbsp
- vegtable oil
- 1 large
- onion, chopped
- stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 qt
- beef broth or 2 tablespoons of beef base mixed into 2 qts warm water
- carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 medium
- potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2
- 1 1/2 c
- butternut squash, cut into 1/2
- head of a small cabbage, rough chopped
- 1-3 tsp
- smoked paprika, if desired
- 1 Tbsp
- thyme, dried
How to Make Elk Vegtable Stew
- 1Put flour, seasoning salt, garlic powder and onion powder into a gallon zip lock bag, shake it up to mix...add your 1" cubes of meat. Zip the bag shut with lots of air inside...and shake it up making sure to coat all sides of each piece of meat. Set aside with meat still in bag.
- 2In a 6qt dutch oven kettle, heat the vegtable oil, while its heating give your meat a couple good shakes again to coat all pieces again. When oil is hot, lift meat out of bag, shaking excess flour off and drop into kettle. Stirring occsionally.
- 3When the meat is brown on all sides add onions and celery...continue to saute until onions are nearly translucent. Then add broth or warm water with beef base stirring until mixed well. Then add carrots, potatoes, and squash...bring to a low boil and simmer over low heat stirring occasionally for 20 minutes.
- 4then add cabbage, thyme and paprika, if desired. Stirring well. Cover and simmer over low heat for 30 min. or so, until cabbage is tender.