Curried Creamy Butternut Bisque
1 smallbutternut squash (about 1 to 2 lb)
·seasoned salt and pepper to taste (i prefer johnnies)
2 -3green onions, white finely sliced, green finely chopped (keep separate for garnish)
1/4 cheavy cream
1/2 to 1 tspmild curry powder (if you like some heat, use hotter curry powder)
2-3 dash(es)green tabasco sauce
·green onion tops (see above)
·heavy cream, slightly whipped (without sugar)
How to Make Curried Creamy Butternut Bisque
- Prepare the butternut by either microwaving or on stove top. For microwave, cut in half lengthwise, scoop out seed and pulp. Place face down in microwave safe casserole with a couple of tablespoons of water, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave until tender. (Time depends on microwave and size/thickness of squash), Let cool to avoid burns, and then scoop the meat/pulp out of the skin into a bowl when needed.
For Stove top, prepare as for microwave, but peel outer skin,(careful, the skin is tough and slippery. Don't cut yourself.) cut into cubes and cook in saucepan until tender. Drain well.
- For either method, coarsely mash the pulp until about 2/3 to 3/4 is smooth and there are still small chunks of squash in with the mashed pulp. Set Aside
- In a med saucepan over med high heat, melt butter and stir in flour to make a roux. Stir and cook for about a minute or two to avoid raw flour taste. Add white part of green onions, milk, cream, seasoned salt and pepper. Stir over medium heat until thickened, whisk in curry powder and hot sauce.
- Add mashed squash to cream sauce, stir well and adjust seasonings. Add more curry powder if desired, salt and pepper. Heat to serving temperature, do not boil.
- To serve, whip a small amount (1/4 to 1/3 cup) of whipping cream to very soft peaks (DO NOT ADD SUGAR). Swirl a small spoonful of whipped cream through the soup, sprinkle with chopped green onion tops (Or chives) and serve with a lemon wedge on the side of the bowl to squeeze over just before eating. Or use a small dollop of cream and a sprinkle of curry powder on top.