Creamy Thai Carrot Soup
- 2 c
- vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 c
- coconut milk
- 1 lb
- carrots, sliced
- 1/2 c
- shallots, peeled and sliced
- 1-2 medium
- garlic cloves, peeled and cut in half
- 2 tsp
- *fresh* ginger root, grated
- 1 1/2 tsp
- thai red or yellow curry paste *or* thai curry powder, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 6 oz
- silken tofu, drained
- fresh mint or fresh cilantro, for garnish (or both)
How to Make Creamy Thai Carrot Soup
- 1*NOTE: Thai curry paste available at Asian markets and some grocery stores.
- 2In a medium saucepan, bring broth, coconut milk, carrots, shallots, garlic and ginger almost to the boil over medium heat. DO NOT BOIL! Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes; until carrots are tender.
- 3Stir in Thai curry paste and salt; simmer 1 minute to blend flavors. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- 4Add tofu to saucepan and puree in soup pot using an immersion hand blender (or in batches in a blender) until smooth.Serve mint leaves and/or fresh cilantro on side for garnish.