Creamy Comfort Mushroom Soup
With this one, we love to make a loaf of sourdough in the bread maker and serve thick slices with the soup for dipping.
A variety of mushrooms can be used in this soup, but we like to keep it easy and inexpensive. This is one of those ultimate comfort foods, pure and simple!
- 1/4 lb
- organic butter
- 1 1/2 lb
- white mushrooms, washed and thinly sliced
- shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tsp
- kosher salt
- 1 pinch
- ground pepper
- 5 Tbsp
- all-purpose flour
- 1 c
- organic whole milk
- 1 c
- organic half and half
- 16 oz
- organic chicken broth or stock
How to Make Creamy Comfort Mushroom Soup
- 1Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a medium pot over medium heat. Add mushrooms and shallots. Cook in butter for 1 to 2 minutes. Reduce heat to very low. Cover and cook mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until they are soft, 5 to 7 minutes.
- 2Uncover pot and increase heat to medium. Add salt and pepper, and cook on medium heat for 1 minute. Turn off heat and set aside.
- 3In a separate pot over medium heat, melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter. Slowly whisk in the flour, milk, and half & half. Continue whisking until smooth. Cook mixture, stirring often, until thickened and bubbling.
- 4Continue stirring and slowly add the chicken broth or stock. Bring mixture to a gentle simmer. Add cooked mushrooms, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Soup may be thinned with milk or half & half if desired. Ladle into bowls and serve with thick slices of bread.