CREAM OF SPINACH SOUP
How to Make CREAM OF SPINACH SOUP
- In a medium saucepan, combine water, bouillon and spinach. Bring to a boil, and cook until the spinach is tender.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the diced onion and cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes, until tender and translucent.
- Sprinkle the flour over the butter/onions, and make a roux. Continue stirring for a couple of minutes, to allow roux to become golden. Don't burn or scorch the roux.
- Gradually stir in the milk ... using a whisk, to break up lumps. Don't worry if lumps are left behind ... you'll get rid of them in a minute.
- Stir this mixture constantly until it thickens a bit. DO NOT SCORCH OR BOIL. Stir in the spinach/bouillon mixture. Bring it all back up to temp.
- Pour the mixture into your blender in small batches. Remember to leave the center hole out of the blender cover, to allow steam to escape. Puree' for about 10 seconds. Repeat with small batches, until all is puree'd. I like to leave a little bit of the spinach chunks, for color and texture.
- Return all of it to the pot, and cook just until it all comes back up to temperature. Serve hot, with a big hunk of soft, chewy French bread and a salad.