My husband cannot get enough of this chowder. We do use fresh corn off the cob, so as soon as he sees it is in, he wants this chowder!
An updated version of an Old West favorite _ this is loaded with corn! The red pepper and cilantro give it a fresh new taste.
4 ozsliced bacon, cut into 1" pieces
2 Tbspunsalted butter
2 cchopped onions
2 Tbspunbleached all-purpose flour
4 cchicken broth
2 largepotatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4" dice
1 chalf and half
4 ccooked corn kernels, drained
3/4 tspcoarsely ground black pepper
·salt to taste
1 largered pepper, cut into 1/4" dice
·scallions (green onions), white bulb and 3 inches green, cut into 1/4" slices
1 Tbspchopped cilantro (fresh coriander), for garnish
How to Make Corn Chowder
- Wilt the bacon in a large soup pot over low heat until fat is rendered, about 5 minutes. Add the butter and allow it to melt.
- Add the onions and wilt over low heat for 10 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring, another 5 minutes.
- Add the stock and potatoes. Continue cooking over medium heat until the potatoes are just tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add the half-and-half, corn, pepper, and salt. Cook 7 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the bell pepper and scallions, adjust the seasonings, and cook an additional 5 miinutes. Serve immediately, garnnished with cilantro.