Cindy's Split Pea Soup
2 ccelery, chopped
2 conion, chopped
1clove garlic, smashed & minced
1-2smoked ham hocks
1 tspsummer savory, dried
4-6dried hot peppers (opt.) (i used a combination of dried red, jalapeno, & thai peppers)
2bay leaves, dried
3 qtchicken broth or water
6 csplit peas (i use half yellow & half green)
3/4 chalf & half
How to Make Cindy's Split Pea Soup
- Saute celery, onion, garlic, & summer savory until onion translucent but not browned.
- Place Ham Hocks, dried peppers, & bay leaves in pot. Add black pepper if you wish but do not add any salt. There is plenty of salt in the ham hocks. Cover with broth.
- Bring to boil, then turn heat to low , cover & simmer for 1 hour.
- After an hour taste broth for heat, if using dried peppers. If it is desired spiciness, remove the peppers. (I left mine in for another 30 minutes)
- After 1-1/2 hours, remove Ham Hocks to cool before chopping.
- Meanwhile, wash split peas and add to broth. Then chop meat and add to pot.
- Bring to boil, then turn to low and continue to simmer for approx. 1 hour, or until peas are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add Half & Half & stir until completely mixed. Serve with cornbread.