Cindy's Split Pea Soup
- 2 c
- celery, chopped
- 2 c
- onion, chopped
- clove garlic, smashed & minced
- smoked ham hocks
- 1 tsp
- summer savory, dried
- dried hot peppers (opt.) (i used a combination of dried red, jalapeno, & thai peppers)
- bay leaves, dried
- 3 qt
- chicken broth or water
- 6 c
- split peas (i use half yellow & half green)
- 3/4 c
- half & half
How to Make Cindy's Split Pea Soup
- 1Saute celery, onion, garlic, & summer savory until onion translucent but not browned.
- 2Place Ham Hocks, dried peppers, & bay leaves in pot. Add black pepper if you wish but do not add any salt. There is plenty of salt in the ham hocks. Cover with broth.
- 3Bring to boil, then turn heat to low , cover & simmer for 1 hour.
- 4After an hour taste broth for heat, if using dried peppers. If it is desired spiciness, remove the peppers. (I left mine in for another 30 minutes)
- 5After 1-1/2 hours, remove Ham Hocks to cool before chopping.
- 6Meanwhile, wash split peas and add to broth. Then chop meat and add to pot.
- 7Bring to boil, then turn to low and continue to simmer for approx. 1 hour, or until peas are tender, stirring occasionally.
- 8Add Half & Half & stir until completely mixed. Serve with cornbread.