Cheesy Cream of Broccoli Soup
- 2 Tbsp
- butter, don't substitute
- 2 Tbsp
- all purpose flour
- of a large onion, chopped
- 1 c
- fat free half and half
- 32 oz
- low sodium chicken broth or veggie stock
- 28 oz
- bag of frozen broccoli florets
- 1 lb
- 2% velveeta cheese, cubbed
- 8 oz
- of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp
- crushed red peppers, optional
- freshly ground pepper to taste
How to Make Cheesy Cream of Broccoli Soup
- 1What I did first was take my broccoli and place it in a microwave safe bowl and cooked it for about 8 minutes and set aside.
- 2In a large pan I melted my butter, flour and onions together for about a minute or two, and then I slowly added the half and half and whisked until thick and smooth. Once the half and half was mixed with the flour, onion and butter I added my broccoli and the velveeta cheese, after the cheese was completely melted and nice and smooth I added my chicken broth a little at a time until I got it to the consistency I wanted. At first I did not use all the broth but put the rest in later which you will see in a moment.
- 3Cook this about 20 minutes on simmer then add the remaining cheese, stir until melted. I had about 2 ounces of stock left and decided to put it in as it was just a little too thick for my taste. Use your own judgment.