Cheesy Asparagus and Potato Soup
My daughter often requests this soup...I had lost the recipe until a member here asked me about it, since I had commented on it, in a group. So I started a mission to find it and I did!!! My daughter will be so happy to have it back!
I do often add chopped mushrooms to this when I add the onion.
This is best the next day! Make it when you have time, toss into refrigerator and heat to serve.
- 1 large
- onion, diced fine
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 2 Tbsp
- 3 Tbsp
- 1/2 tsp
- salt or more, to taste
- 1/4 tsp
- fresh ground black pepper or more, to taste
- 1 clove
- garlic, minced fine
- 2 c
- 1" asparagus pieces
- 2 c
- 1 - 14.5 oz
- can of chicken broth or 2 cups
- 2 c
- potatoes, cubed (approx 3 medium or 4 small potatoes)
- 1 c
- cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 c
- cream or sour cream
How to Make Cheesy Asparagus and Potato Soup
- 1In a large saucepan cook onion in oil over medium heat until tender. Add butter, when melted add garlic, salt and pepper, sprinkle flour over onion and stir to coat. Cooking a minute or two. Then whisk in broth and milk, add asparagus and potatoes. Cook and stir until bubbly, reduce heat, simmer covered 10-12 minutes or just until veggies are tender, stirring occasionally.
- 2Remove from heat, add cheese and cream, stir until melted and well blended.
- 3Makes 4-6 servings
- 4*top with crumbled bacon if desired
*Broccoli may be substituted for asparagus
*adding chopped mushrooms when you add the onions is great!