Carrot - Ginger Soup
We love this soup for lunch served with a nice salad and club sandwiches.
- 2 lb
- carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 medium
- onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp
- unsalted butter
- 2 in.piece
- fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1/4 tsp
- garlic powder
- 1 tsp
- to taste
- salt & pepper
- 4 c
- vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 c
- carrot juice
- 1/4 tsp
- thyme, dried
- 1/2 tsp
- baking soda
- 1 Tbsp
- cider vinegar
- sour cream
- chopped fresh chives
How to Make Carrot - Ginger Soup
- 1Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- 2Add onion, ginger, garlic, and sugar. Cook stirring often until onion is tender but not browned about 5 to 7 minutes
- 3Increase heat to high and add carrots, vegetable broth, 3/4 cup carrot juice, thyme, and baking soda and bring to simmer.
- 4Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until carrots are very tender about 25 minutes.
- 5Process soup in a blender until it is smooth.
- 6Place processed soup in a large clean pot.
- 7Stir in vinegar and remaining 3/4 cup carrot juice.
- 8Return to simmer over medium heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 9Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of chopped chives if desired.
- 10Note: I usually serve this with seasoned croutons.