2/3 colive oil, extra virgin
1 largeonion, chopped
5 mediumstarchy potatoes, washed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
2 clovegarlic, chopped
1 largebunch or fresh spinach
·smoked sausage, italian sausage or your favorite, cooked and sliced
How to Make Caldo Verde
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-heat, add the onions and garlic and cook until onions are soft (for about 10 minutes).
- Add the potatoes, cook quickly for a couple of minutes.
- Add the stock and salt (starting with 1 teaspoon of salt and adding the rest if necessary to suit your taste).
- Bring it to a boil, cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook until potatoes for about 30 minutes. Add the sausage and cook a few more minutes until the sausage is hot and the potatoes are fork tender.
- I prefer my potatoes chunky in my soup. However, if you want a thicker soup, blend the soup by using an immersion blender directly in the pot or you can put the soup in batches into a blender and blend it. Add more chicken stock if you think it's too thick.
- Taste the soup and adjust salt if necessary, add fresh pepper to taste.
- Place a handful of spinach on the bottom of each bowl and pour soup over the spinach. Make sure the soup is extremely hot, as it will flash cook the greens.