- 2/3 c
- olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 large
- onion, chopped
- 5 medium
- starchy potatoes, washed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 clove
- garlic, chopped
- 1 large
- bunch or fresh spinach
- smoked sausage, italian sausage or your favorite, cooked and sliced
How to Make Caldo Verde
- 1Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-heat, add the onions and garlic and cook until onions are soft (for about 10 minutes).
- 2Add the potatoes, cook quickly for a couple of minutes.
- 3Add the stock and salt (starting with 1 teaspoon of salt and adding the rest if necessary to suit your taste).
- 4Bring it to a boil, cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook until potatoes for about 30 minutes. Add the sausage and cook a few more minutes until the sausage is hot and the potatoes are fork tender.
- 5I prefer my potatoes chunky in my soup. However, if you want a thicker soup, blend the soup by using an immersion blender directly in the pot or you can put the soup in batches into a blender and blend it. Add more chicken stock if you think it's too thick.
- 6Taste the soup and adjust salt if necessary, add fresh pepper to taste.
- 7Place a handful of spinach on the bottom of each bowl and pour soup over the spinach. Make sure the soup is extremely hot, as it will flash cook the greens.