Basic Vegetable Soup1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 3 c
- beef broth
- 2 c
- 1 c
- tomato juice
- carrots, chopped
- onion, chopped
- celery stalks, chopped
- 1/4 c
- green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 c
- green beans, chopped
- 1/2 can(s)
- lima beans
- 1/2 c
- 4 Tbsp
- 1/4 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
How to Make Basic Vegetable Soup
- 1Use about 6 cups liquid; You may mix chicken and beef broth (canned lowfat, not bouillon cubes) with water and tomato juice or vegetable juice cocktail to suit your tastes.
- 2Melt 4 tablespoons butter in skillet.
- 3Add the chopped green peppers, carrots, celery and onion.
- 4Saute on low heat until vegetables are softened and onion browned lightly.
- 5Add this to the broth mixture which has been placed in a large, heavy pan with lid.
- 6Add to this the potatoes, green beans, lima beans
- 7Cover and simmer for about 45 minutes or until all the vegetables are done.
- 8Add the salt and pepper.
- 9Remove about 2 cups of the mixture and put into
- 10Puree this mixture and return to pot with rest of soup.
- 11Turn off heat and cover soup.
- 12Best if allowed to set for up to 1 hour to blend flavors.
- 13Since this is a basic recipe for soup, you can add the vegetables you prefer and follow the directions above to finish the soup.
- 14Some suggestions: Add bay leaf, shredded cabbage, chopped zucchini, diced turnips, fresh tomatoes, okra or parsley.
- 15For added nutrition, serve with a sprinkling of lowfat cheese on the hot soup.
- 16Also good sprinkled with toasted croutons. This stores very well in refrigerator and is actually improved with time.