Basic Vegetable Soup1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
3 cbeef broth
1 ctomato juice
2celery stalks, chopped
1/4 cgreen bell pepper, diced
1/2 cgreen beans, chopped
1/2 can(s)lima beans
How to Make Basic Vegetable Soup
- Use about 6 cups liquid; You may mix chicken and beef broth (canned lowfat, not bouillon cubes) with water and tomato juice or vegetable juice cocktail to suit your tastes.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in skillet.
- Add the chopped green peppers, carrots, celery and onion.
- Saute on low heat until vegetables are softened and onion browned lightly.
- Add this to the broth mixture which has been placed in a large, heavy pan with lid.
- Add to this the potatoes, green beans, lima beans
- Cover and simmer for about 45 minutes or until all the vegetables are done.
- Add the salt and pepper.
- Remove about 2 cups of the mixture and put into
- Puree this mixture and return to pot with rest of soup.
- Turn off heat and cover soup.
- Best if allowed to set for up to 1 hour to blend flavors.
- Since this is a basic recipe for soup, you can add the vegetables you prefer and follow the directions above to finish the soup.
- Some suggestions: Add bay leaf, shredded cabbage, chopped zucchini, diced turnips, fresh tomatoes, okra or parsley.
- For added nutrition, serve with a sprinkling of lowfat cheese on the hot soup.
- Also good sprinkled with toasted croutons. This stores very well in refrigerator and is actually improved with time.