★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 2 qt
- chicken broth
- 1/2 c
- onion, chopped
- carrots, chopped
- celery stalks, chopped
- parsley sprig chopped
- 1 tsp
- bay leaf
- 8 c
- other vegetables
How to Make Barley Vegetable Soup
- 1Place ingredients in large pot and bring to boil.
- 2Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 3Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 1 hour, or until barley is tender.
- 4Remove parsley and bay leaf.
- 5Divide if not using entire soup at one meal.
- 6Half a batch should serve 4 with addition of vegetables suggested below.
- 7*Suggestions for "other vegetables" listed in ingredients - 2 cups green beans, 3 carrots, peeled and sliced, 2 zucchinis, sliced thickly, 2 cups broccoli, 2 cups cauliflower florets, 2 stalks celery, 8 ounces mushrooms, washed and thinly sliced.