Turkey Wild Rice Soup
Allreipes.com - J Novak
1each -carrot, celery, onion
·olive oil, extra virgin
4 cchicken broth (3 - 10.5 oz condenced cans of chicken broth)
1/2 cuncooked wild rice
1/4 tsppoultry seasoning
2 chalf and half or 2 cans of canned milk
1 1/2 ccooked, large diced, turkey meat
2 Tbspdry sherry (*opt)
How to Make Turkey Wild Rice Soup
- Chop the carrot, celery, and onion into small pieces.
(I like to put carrots and onion in my small food processer and mince.)
- Select a large pot, and put in enough olive oil to just cover about 1/2 the bottom (you can alway add more if needed)
Set on medium heat.
Add minced carrot, celery & onion.
Stir often and cook for about 10 minutes.
Add chicken broth and 2 cups of water.
Add rice (I like to use 1/2 wild rice and 1/2 white rice).
Bring to a boil and simer until rice is tender, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp. Allow to cool and then crumble.
- When rice is tender, melt the butter in a sauce pan over medium-low heat. Stir in flour, salt, poultry seasoning and pepper all at once into the melted butter.
Cook, stirring, until smooth and bubbly.
Stir in half-in-half (or caned milk) into flour mixture and cook until thickened, 2 minutes.
Stir half-in-half/flour mixture into pot with the rice.
Stir in bacon (sometimes I will add the bacon dripings too), turkey, and sherry.
Heat through and serve.
- This makes a pretty thick soup. To thin, add more broth or milk. Season to taste.