Turkey, Rice, Barley Soup
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1turkey carcass, wing tips, bones , all of it.
How to Make Turkey, Rice, Barley Soup
- Put the turkey carcass in a large pot that is big enough to hold it. Be sure to clean out the back bones so that no dressing or "gunk" is in that part.
- Cover carcass and bones with water.
- Cut celery stalk,(leave the leaves on) in half, cut carrot in half and dquarter the onion. Add to pot.
- Simmer on the stove for at least 3 hours at a very low simmering temperature.
- Take out the turkey and pick any meat left off the bones and set aside. discard the celery, onion, carrot. Strain the broth. Broth can be chilled at this point if you see there is too much fat.
- Put strained broth back into pot. Add water to broth depending on how much soup you are making. Make a big pot and have some to put in the freezer for enjoying later.
If adding water add 1 tsp. Chicken bullion granuals for each cup of water, or you can add canned chicken broth.
- For about a gallon of soup add 1 cup rice, and 2/3 cup barley, 2 small carrots chopped and 2 celery stalks chopped, 1/2 small onion chopped, salt and pepper if needed. Go easy on the salt if you have used Bulllion.
- Bring to a quick boil, then I usually simmer very low for a couple of hours till rice and barley are done.
You can adjust according to how much soup you are making.
- Usually in the Mexican food section you can find large bottles of Knoor Chicken Boullion granuals a lot cheaper than using the wyler clubes. This is a staple in my kitchen for lots of uses.