Southwest Butternut Squash Soup
Everyone is sure to enjoy this soup
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 2 lb
- butternut squash, cut in half lengthwise; seeds and pulp removed
- 1 Tbsp
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium
- onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp
- fresh grated ginger
- 3 c
- vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/2 c
- dark beer
- 3/4 c
- sour cream
- ground cumin
How to Make Southwest Butternut Squash Soup
- 1Place squash cut side down in a baking dish with a small amount of water.
Microwave on high 20 minutes, or until skin is fork tender.
- 2Meanwhile saute the onion and ginger in olive oil in a 4 quart Dutch Oven until the onion is tender.
Add the broth; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Stir in beer and salsa.
- 3Cool squash in ice cold water, drain well.
Scoop the cooled squash from the skin and stir into the broth.
- 4Place half of the soup mixture in a blender* and puree. Repeat with remaining soup mixture.
Return soup to the Dutch Oven and heat until ready to serve.
Garnish each serving with a spoonful of salsa, dollops of sour cream and a dusting of cumin.
*An immersion blender can be used in place of a blender to puree the soup in the Dutch oven.