Mom and Dad's Tasty Split Pea Soup
- 1 lb
- dried green split peas
- 2 qt
- water (or low sodium chicken broth)
- ham bone with some meat left on it, or 1 ham hock
- 1 c
- minced yellow onion
- 1 c
- thinly sliced leeks
- 1/2 c
- finely sliced celery
- 1/4 c
- fresh parsley sprigs (italian)
- 1 tsp
- black pepper corns
- bay leaves
- 1 1/2 c
- frozen peas
How to Make Mom and Dad's Tasty Split Pea Soup
- 1Rinse the split peas under cold running water. Discard any discolored peas. Place the peas in a large kettle and add water to cover. Bring to a boil and boil 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let soak 1 hour. Drain. (Or you can just soak the peas overnight, covered)
- 2Put the peas back in the kettle and add the measured water (or chicken broth),ham bone or hock, onion, leeks, celery, parsley, salt, peppercorns and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently until the peas are tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Skim occasionally.
- 3Remove the bay leaves and the ham bone or hock from the soup. Cut the meat off the bone, discarding any fat, and chop the meat finely. Set aside. Discard the ham bone and the bay leaves.
- 4Puree the soup in batches in a food processor or blender. You can also use a hand blender. Pour into a clean saucepan and add the chopped ham. Check the seasoning. Add the frozen peas and simmer the soup 3 to 4 minutes to heat through before serving.