Garden Fresh Tomato Soup
4 cupschopped fresh tomatoes
1 onionfinely chopped (1/2 of one large onion)
4 wholecloves, or use 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
2 cupschicken broth
2 tablesp.butter (l used 3 tablespoons)
2 tablesp.flour (l used 3 tablespoons)
1 tsp.salt (l only used 1/2 teaspoon)
2 tsp.granulated sugar
How to Make Garden Fresh Tomato Soup
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, combine the tomatoes, onion, cloves, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, and gently boil for 20 minutes. (If making more than one batch of soup in the stockpot, like I did, I suggest covering the pot with a lid. This allows the vegetables to come to a boil much quicker. And after the vegetables come to a boil, remove the lid, and then I gently boil the vegetables for 25 minutes.)
- Remove the stockpot from the heat, and run the vegetable mixture through a food mill into a large bowl, or pan. (I did try to remove any cloves I spotted, before running mixture through the food mill.) Discard any tomato/onion mixture left over in the food mill.
- In the now empty stockpot, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour to make a roux, cooking until the roux is light golden brown in color.
- Quickly whisk in a bit of the tomato mixture, so that no lumps form, then stir in the rest of the tomato juice mixture.
- Season soup with the salt and sugar.
- Heat the soup through, then serve.