Garden Fresh Tomato Soup
- 4 cups
- chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 onion
- finely chopped (1/2 of one large onion)
- 4 whole
- cloves, or use 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- 2 cups
- chicken broth
- 2 tablesp.
- butter (l used 3 tablespoons)
- 2 tablesp.
- flour (l used 3 tablespoons)
- 1 tsp.
- salt (l only used 1/2 teaspoon)
- 2 tsp.
- granulated sugar
How to Make Garden Fresh Tomato Soup
- 1In a large stockpot over medium heat, combine the tomatoes, onion, cloves, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, and gently boil for 20 minutes. (If making more than one batch of soup in the stockpot, like I did, I suggest covering the pot with a lid. This allows the vegetables to come to a boil much quicker. And after the vegetables come to a boil, remove the lid, and then I gently boil the vegetables for 25 minutes.)
- 2Remove the stockpot from the heat, and run the vegetable mixture through a food mill into a large bowl, or pan. (I did try to remove any cloves I spotted, before running mixture through the food mill.) Discard any tomato/onion mixture left over in the food mill.
- 3In the now empty stockpot, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour to make a roux, cooking until the roux is light golden brown in color.
- 4Quickly whisk in a bit of the tomato mixture, so that no lumps form, then stir in the rest of the tomato juice mixture.
- 5Season soup with the salt and sugar.
- 6Heat the soup through, then serve.