French Onion Soup
1loaf french baguette
1/4 cvegetable oil
2 lbcooking onions, sliced
1/2 tspmustard powder
3 Tbspall purpose flour
3 can(s)beef consomme (10 3/4 ounces) (not beef broth)
1soup can water
1soup can dry white wine
6 ozgruyere cheese, in 6 slices
How to Make French Onion Soup
- Heat broiler. Cut baguette into 1-inch thick slices and place on a baking sheet. Place under broiler for 3-4 minutes or until toasted. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Place a 4 quart Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the butter and oil. Heat until butter is melted. Add the onions and cook, stirring often, until onions are wilted and soft. Add the sugar and cook an additional 5 minutes. Add the flour and dry mustard powder. Mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the consomme, water and wine. Mix well and cook for 8-10 minutes until heated thru and flour has dissolved.
- Place 6 soup crocks on a sturdy baking sheet. Ladle soup into crocks and top each with a slice of the toasted baguette. Place a slice of Gruyere on top of each, making sure part of cheese slice overlaps edge of soup crock. (This will ensure cheese will not sink to bottom.)
- Place filled crocks under broiler and broil for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is hot, bubbly and slightly browned.
- Carefully remove from oven and serve with remaining toasted baguette slices for dunking.
- Bon Appetit!!!