Creamy Harvest Vegetable Soup
·2 cans chicken or vegetable broth, or one each
·1 peeled and sliced sweet potato
·1 cup water
·5 green cardamom seeds
·2 parsnips, peeled and chopped
·2 winesap apples, peeled, cored and chopped
·1 small butternut squash
·1 tblsp. grade a maple syrup
·1 tblsp. honey
·1/4 tsp. ground cloves
·1 pint heavy cream (may substitute 1/2 & 1/2 but it won't be as thick)
·salt and white pepper
How to Make Creamy Harvest Vegetable Soup
- Boil sweet potatoes in broth until soft. Reduce heat to low or simmer.
- Start hacking at the squash. Toss in pieces as you get them peeled and chopped.
- Take a break and get a glass of wine.
- Finish butchering the %&$#@! squash.
- Add the rest of the squash and stir in syrup and honey. If getting too thick, you can add a little more water. Simmer until squash is soft.
- Strain soup and mash vegetables, apples, etc. with a potato masher, or put through a potato ricer, or blend with a stick blender.
- Return vegetable mixture to the hot broth and stir to blend.
- Add a little of the hot soup to the cream in a measuring cup. Then slowly add cream mixture to the hot soup stirring constantly.
- Correct the seasoning, adding salt and white pepper if necessary. Ladle into bowls and garnish with a dash of ground nutmeg.