Creamy Harvest Vegetable Soup
- 2 cans chicken or vegetable broth, or one each
- 1 peeled and sliced sweet potato
- 1 cup water
- 5 green cardamom seeds
- 2 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 winesap apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 small butternut squash
- 1 tblsp. grade a maple syrup
- 1 tblsp. honey
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 pint heavy cream (may substitute 1/2 & 1/2 but it won't be as thick)
- salt and white pepper
How to Make Creamy Harvest Vegetable Soup
- 1Boil sweet potatoes in broth until soft. Reduce heat to low or simmer.
- 2Start hacking at the squash. Toss in pieces as you get them peeled and chopped.
- 3Take a break and get a glass of wine.
- 4Finish butchering the %&$#@! squash.
- 5Add the rest of the squash and stir in syrup and honey. If getting too thick, you can add a little more water. Simmer until squash is soft.
- 6Strain soup and mash vegetables, apples, etc. with a potato masher, or put through a potato ricer, or blend with a stick blender.
- 7Return vegetable mixture to the hot broth and stir to blend.
- 8Add a little of the hot soup to the cream in a measuring cup. Then slowly add cream mixture to the hot soup stirring constantly.
- 9Correct the seasoning, adding salt and white pepper if necessary. Ladle into bowls and garnish with a dash of ground nutmeg.