Cabbage Soup (Kabissuppe)
Vicki Butts (lazyme)
The cheese topping for this soup will vary from canton to canton - Gruyere in French cantons, Emmentaler in German cantons, and Parmesan in Italian ones.
From Easy Menu Cooking the Swiss Way, Helga Hughes.
- 2 slice
- bacon, chopped
- 2 Tbsp
- onion, minced
- 4 c
- white cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp
- dried sage
- 1/4 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- 1 Tbsp
- white flour
- 6 c
- chicken bouillon cube
- 1/2 c
- long grain brown rice
- 4 Tbsp
- emmentaler cheese, grated (or gruyere or parmesan)
How to Make Cabbage Soup (Kabissuppe)
- 1Fry bacon in a large pot over medium heat.
- 2Add onions and cook until they are soft.
- 3Add cabbage, sage, pepper, and salt.
- 4Saute until cabbage is lightly browned (about 5 minutes). Then add flour, stirring to coat cabbage.
- 5Add water and bouillon cube, turn heat to high, and bring to a boil.
- 63. Add rice and turn heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 40 minutes.
Ladle soup into 4 large soup bowls and top each with a tablespoon of grated cheese before serving.