Cabbage Soup (Kabissuppe)
Vicki Butts (lazyme)
The cheese topping for this soup will vary from canton to canton - Gruyere in French cantons, Emmentaler in German cantons, and Parmesan in Italian ones.
From Easy Menu Cooking the Swiss Way, Helga Hughes.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
2 slicebacon, chopped
2 Tbsponion, minced
4 cwhite cabbage, thinly sliced
1/2 tspdried sage
1 Tbspwhite flour
1chicken bouillon cube
1/2 clong grain brown rice
4 Tbspemmentaler cheese, grated (or gruyere or parmesan)
How to Make Cabbage Soup (Kabissuppe)
- Fry bacon in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook until they are soft.
- Add cabbage, sage, pepper, and salt.
- Saute until cabbage is lightly browned (about 5 minutes). Then add flour, stirring to coat cabbage.
- Add water and bouillon cube, turn heat to high, and bring to a boil.
- 3. Add rice and turn heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 40 minutes.
Ladle soup into 4 large soup bowls and top each with a tablespoon of grated cheese before serving.