Black Bean, Corn, and Salsa Soup
- 2 (15 oz.)
- cans black beans
- tablespoons of butter
- 1/4 cup
- diced onion
- 2 large
- cloves of garlic, minced
- black pepper, desired amount added
- 1 tsp.
- ground cumin
- 1 (16 oz.)
- can spicy fat free refried beans
- 1 cup
- salsa (mild or medium heat)
- 3 cups
- canned beef broth
- 1 can
- (15.25 oz.) whole kernel corn, drained
- soup garnishings: shredded cheddar cheese & sour scream (opt.)
How to Make Black Bean, Corn, and Salsa Soup
- 1Drain and rinse both cans of black beans, then set the beans aside.
- 2Melt the butter in a 3-quart saucepan, then add the diced onion. Sprinkle onion with a bit of black pepper.
- 3Saute the diced onion for 2 minutes, then add the minced garlic, and continute to saute the onion and garlic for 1 minute more.
- 4Sprinkle the cumin over the onion and garlic, then add the can of refried beans, the salsa, and the beef broth, and stir.
- 5Now add the black beans and corn, and stir. Simmer the soup on low heat, until the soup is heated through, for about 30 minutes.
- 6If desired, serve individual bowls of soup with shredded cheddar cheese, and a dollop of sour cream.
- 7Note: When making this soup, the brand of salsa I used was Red Gold (Medium Heat). The brand of refried beans I used was Old ElPaso Spicy Fat Free Refried Beans. And the brand of whole kernel corn I used was Green Giant Whole Sweet Corn.