Roasted Butternut Squash and Shallot Soup
- 4 c
- (1-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 1/4 tsp
- large shallots, peeled and halved
- (1/2-inch) piece peeled fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 c
- fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp
- (1-inch) slices fresh chives
- cracked black pepper (optional)
How to Make Roasted Butternut Squash and Shallot Soup
- 1Preheat oven to 375 f
- 2Combine first 5 ingredients in a roasting pan or jelly-roll pan; toss well.
Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
Cool 10 minutes.
- 3Place half of squash mixture and half of broth in a blender.
Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender.
- 4Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters).
Blend until smooth. Pour into a large saucepan.
Repeat procedure with remaining squash mixture and broth.
- 5Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Top with chives and pepper, if desired.