3 lbhoneycomb tripe, cut into bite sized pieces
3 lbfresh pigs feet
1 largewhite onion, peeled and chopped
1ancho chile, roasted, seeded, peeled and coarsely chopped
2poblano chiles, roasted, seeded, peeled and coarsely chopped
5 to 6 cwhite hominy, drained (3 large cans or one restaurant sized can)
5 clovegarlic peeled and chopped
How to Make Menudo
- Place hominy into a large pot. Add tripe, pigs feet, onion, oregano, garlic and peppercorns. Cover with 2-3 inches of water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cover. Simmer for 2 hours. Add in chiles, cook for an additional hour and then serve hot.
- You may remove the pigs feet, remove the meat from them and replace the meat back into the pot before serving.
- Serve this soup with tortillas and chopped onion and cilantro and chopped green onion.
- NOTE: The original recipe calls for dried hominy. I used canned for the recipe. If you can find dried hominy then use it.
- DIRECTIONS FOR DRIED HOMINY:
Cover 2 cups hominy with water and soak overnight. Then place hominy in a medium pot, cover with 2-3 inches of water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook hominy for 2 hours, adding more hot water as necessary to keep hominy covered.